Am I eligible if I am registered in a university in a country from which I don’t have the nationality?

For example, may I apply to the HERMES scholarship if I have the Jordanian nationality and that I am registered in a partner-university in Lebanon?


Yes. You can apply to the HERMES scholarship if you meet all the eligibility criteria of the programme.


Am I eligible if I’m a Jordanian, Lebanese, Syrian or Palestinian and if I am registered in a European university?


No. HERMES is a programme for mobility from the Middle-East towards the European Union. Students from the Middle-East who are already registered in a European university are not eligible for an HERMES scholarship.


To which target group do I belong ?


There are three different groups of candidates. Please check  if you belong to Group 1, Group 2 or Group 3, according to your nationality, your academic, professional or socio-economic situation.




When are scholars expected to start their mobility?


All selected scholars (except staff mobilities) have to start their mobility during 2015. For the academic calendars of the partner universities please see the university information sheets (EU , Middle-East)


How long can I stay abroad if I am granted a scholarship?


The duration of your mobility depends on the level of studies and the type of mobility. Please refer to the academic offers  (EU , Middle-East) proposed by the partner-universities.


When will I be informed about the result of my application?


After the selection committee has met, all candidates will be informed about the results of their application. Please refer to the preliminary timetable 




Where can I go?


The partner universities of the consortium HERMES publish their academic offers  (EU , Middle-East) for the candidates. As a national from Jordan, Lebanon, Syria or Palestine, you can study or do research within a partner university in Cyprus, France, Greece, Italy or Spain. If you are national from one of the European Union member states you can study or do research abroad in a partner university in the Middle-East. Please refer to the academic offers  (EU , Middle-East) to choose the offer that fits better to your studies and ambitions.


Partners (EU , Middle-East)

Academic offers (EU , Middle-East)


Can I choose any university and then ask you to give me a scholarship to study there, or the universities are selected in advance from your site?


Only the universities that are partnering in HERMES (EU , Middle-East) can be selected as hosting universities for the application.




I cannot find my specialization in the fields of study lists. Where can I find it?


If you cannot find your specialization in the fields of study lists, it means that your specialization is not offered by one of the HERMES partner universities.


Should my studies correspond to the offer?


Before applying, you must check if the offer you are interested in is appropriate to your studies. Please refer to the offers(EU , Middle-East), the website of the host university, your pedagogical supervisor and the International Relation Office of your home university.



How to apply?


To apply for an HERMES scholarship, you must read carefully the existing offers  (EU , Middle-East) from the universities you are interested in. You should as well consult in detail the explanations concerning the application depending on your level:  Undergraduate, Master, Doctorate, Post-Doctorate, Staff.




Which level of language is required for a scholarship?


This depends on the host university and the kind of scholarship. Please see the university information sheets (EU , Middle-East)


How may I obtain the language certificate?


First of all, check on the academic offer (link to the partners page) of your choice what level of language is required. Some offers don't require any certificate.

For any question in regards of language level or/and certificate, you should contact  the host university.


How may I obtain the required documents?


First of all, you should contact the International relations service in your home university that will assist you completing your application.

Then, if necessary, contact​  the host university you are interested in.


What is a Learning Agreement and a Work plan and how to download these documents?


The learning agreement and the work plan fix in written form the objectives of the mobility depending on scholarship holder education. These contracts determine the courses and research project that must be followed at the host university. They must be validated and signed by the pedagogical supervisors at the home university and then, by the host university. The learning agreement is the tool for the students’ academic recognition at an undergraduate and master level. For doctorates, post-docs as well as staff, it is the work plan. The documents can be downloaded in the main menu from  (How To Apply? > If You are ? ) and then select your mobility type. and click on the document link.


What is the statement on oath for?


In order to be eligible for an Erasmus Mundus scholarship, the applicant may not have stayed in the EU countries for more than 12 months during the recent 5 years (this does not apply for TG3 applicants). Signing the statement on oath, the applicant declares that he complies with this rule.


May I send documents in another language than English?


No. You have to upload all documents in English, except your official documents such as the copy of your passport, diplomas. Documents in Arabic have to be translated. On the other hand, you may write your motivation letter in the language of the host university you are interested in.

I have not received my TOEFL/IELTS/language test results yet and I will not be able to upload it before the deadline of this call. What should I do?


If you do not have all required documents right now, please contact  your respective host university. If the host university exceptionally agrees that some documents can be sent after the deadline, this email conversation should be copied & pasted and uploaded as an explanation, together with any supporting documentation of language proficiency or certificates of local tests that you may have already taken. However, you have to submit your results well before the selection meeting in early February 2015 so that they can be taken into consideration.


I have no passport at the moment. Can I still apply?


Yes you can apply without having a passport at the moment. Please upload any government issued ID that allows verification of your nationality and do not forget to send your copy of passport in early February 2015.


I cannot upload the required documents. What should I do?


The format of the document you try to upload is not compatible with our system. Choose the Pdf format to upload your documents. It is also possible that there is a temporary system problem. Please try again to upload your documents later or contact us​ 

EACEA has also collected a list of frequently asked questions concerning the Erasmus Mundus Action 2 programme. Please have a look at the January 2011 version.​ 

Sign In